Monday, March 8, 2010

Thoughts on Hotel Design

Just got back from Las Vegas last night and I thought I'd share my thoughts on some hotel design observations I made.

We stayed at the MGM Grand, my first time actually seeing their rooms.  We stayed in the West Wing, which is supposed to be a little bit more upscale and modern.  If by upscale and modern they mean small and inefficient, I'd say they've done their job.  The hallways of the West Wing are narrow and the ceilings so low there is no way anybody taller than my 6' husband can comfortably walk upright.  Once you get the room door open, you are walking right into the bathroom.  Yes, kind of strange.  There is no door to the bathroom (the door to the toilet is supposed to magnetically close but we had a little trouble with the door actually doing that).  There is no insulation (you hear it all) and if you happen to wake up in the middle of the night to use the facilities (I've had 3 kids so making it through the night is not an option for me) then you are either feeling your way in the dark or turning on the bright overhead light and waking your sleeping husband.

The bed at first glance is soft and comfortable.  That is, until you sleep in it and discover there is no back or head support whatsoever.   The decor is okay... not anything special.  For some reason the window treatments don't completely cover the side of the windows so if you are expecting to sleep in... don't!

All in all... I would give the MGM another try... just not going back to the West Wing anytime soon.

I've seen hotels built from the ground floor up... and I've been the one buying all those interior furnishings and I can tell you for a fact... having more expensive furniture doesn't mean you are getting a "better" room.  When it comes to hotels... stick with the clean and comfortable.  You'll be happy you didn't spend the extra money.

2 comments:

  1. I was just talking to someone about the fact that some design, even award winning design, does not win or show well because of its function.

    In light of Alice in Wonderland opening this past weekend, I found this hotel design in Milan
    http://numberseventysix.blogspot.com/2010/02/maison-moschino-hotel.html

    Thrilling to look at, but user friendly?

    You can check out my blog at www.lovemedaily.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa. I checked out the posh hotel in Milan... fun to look at, and probably a lot of fun to design, but definitely not a place you would want to stay in for too long. Doesn't look very comfortable... and for me, it's all about comfort.

    ReplyDelete