Friday, January 15, 2010

Designers: Good vs. Bad

I think decorators and designers have gotten a bad wrap in the past.  They often have the reputation of being stuck up, snobby, rude and out for money at all costs.  They design to their tastes, instead of the client... and they always go over budget.  Unfortunately, I have personally worked with some of these people. 

My first real design job when I moved to Los Angeles was working as the assistant to a famous celebrity designer.  She worked out of a large apartment in West Hollywood and liked to give orders via telephone from the moment I walked into the "office" to the time I left for the day.  I had to bring my lunch because I couldn't leave my desk (God forbid a celebrity called and nobody answered the phone).  I was told what to do, how to do it and why I wasn't doing it right.  When a delivery was late... it was my fault.  When a store was out of stock on an item... it was my fault.  If a fabric was discontinued... my fault again.  I was yelled at, talked down to, told I didn't know anything and on top of that... she had the nerve to tell me I wasn't taking responsibility!  I quit!

I always wondered how she actually related to her celebrity clientele.  I can't believe they would stand for that kind of behavior.  They didn't.  She would kiss their ass just to get a job and then make me suffer for it.  That is the kind of designer who gives the rest of us a bad name.

She wasn't the only one.  I also had the misfortune to work for another celebrity designer (another woman) who was exactly the same way.  Her employees feared going to work every single day and the turnover was unbelievable.  I quit after about 2 months because I couldn't take the abuse.  Not to mention, she was rude to her clients as well.  Seriously?  Do you really want to work with someone (or for someone) who is rude and nasty all the time? 

It amazes me that these women actually had clients.  To be honest, they were good designers... good, not great.  Maybe their attitudes got them what they wanted... but at what price?  It's too bad because there are so many great talented designers out there who actually listen to their clients and are budget oriented.  Where is our recognition?  You'll never see one of us on the cover of Architectual Digest.  Guess you have to be mean and rude to garner that kind of attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment